BRIEF DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE BUSINESS:
AMAMOOR GENERAL STORE & POST OFFICE IS a FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED BUSINESS run by husband (Mark), wife (Heather) and son (Tyrone).
IT IS SITUATED IN THE BEAUTIFUL MARY VALLEY HINTERLAND, about 15 minutes drive south of Gympie, 50 minutes drive north of Maroochydore (even shorter if coming from Noosa), or 2 hours drive north of Brisbane.
The premise, a heritage listing building, was established around 1920 as a general store, post office and telephone exchange by Sydney Watts. The business has had many owners since its beginnings. We have run the business since 15th June 2009 usually changes hands every five or six years
OUR SHOP OFFERS A WIDE RANGE OF PRODUCTS & SERVICES INCLUDING: -
* LPO - Licensed Post Office (Does everything that a big Post Office does, except Passport
* PETROL STATION (independent fuel & oil & lubricants, ‘air’ also available)
- in-store on our computer & WI-FI if using your own
* GENERAL GROCERIES such as cans, bottles, tubs or packets of food, personal items, cleaning products, stationary, pharmaceuticals, etc
* MEAT & CHICKEN (eg. Moya Valley Free Range Chicken (whole birds, sausages, & other cuts); pork & beef sausages, mince, eye filet, etc
* FRUIT & VEG (we support locally grown, but source from elsewhere if not available)
* CUT FLOWERS (local if available)
* CIGARETTES & TOBACCO
* FRESH BREAD & MILK
* FROZEN FOODS
* TAKE-A-WAY FOOD (Hot & Cold)
* SNACK FOODS (lollies, chocolates, nuts & packets of chips)
* ‘real’ COFFEE
* MOBILE PHONE SALES
* PHONE RECHARGES etc
* COLD DRINKS
* GAS (refills & swap-and-go)
* FIREWOOD (15kg bags)
* SPRING WATER – 11L & 15L bottles (distributor for Montville Mist)
* BAIT / WORMS (for fishing) cultivated on shop premises
* GENERAL CAMPING & KITCHENWARE, HARDWARE, ELECTRICAL & AUTO SUPPLIES
* NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES
* SECOND HAND BOOKS
* LOCAL ARTWORK
* SOUVENIR POSTCARDS
* SPECIALITY ITEMS
- Bamboo socks & jocks, T-shirts, towels, sheets & other products
- Lemon Myrtle Products
- Coconut oil, soap & other products
- Bulk lolly bags
- Alcoholic gift packs (delivered only) eg. wine, cheese & crackers; champagne, flowers & chocolates; etc.
* ‘ON-LINE’ sales of selected speciality items (via website www.amamoorstore.com.au &
* GIFTS & CARDS
BRIEF INFORMATION ABOUT THE AMAMOOR GENERAL STORE & AMAMOOR TOWNSHIP
This premise was established by Sydney Watts for the growing population of Amamoor around 1920 as a general store, post office and telephone exchange. Later followed the establishment of another general store by Samuel Pring (on the other side of the railway line), a butchery (William Weller), a bakery, a produce store and a mechanical business.
Today, the small engine mechanical business (formally known as “Diamondfield Motors”) and this premise, “The Amamoor General Store & Post Office” are the only two storefront retail businesses operating in Amamoor, but other home based and other on-line businesses have sprung up in Amamoor (see below for more information) . The community hall erected by the locals in 1921 still stands today and is used by locals for various functions, and a church in the main street still holds congregations.
The Amamoor Railway Station is the destination point for the “Mary Valley Heritage Rail’s” tourist steam train named "The Rattler". The steam train operates every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday and scheduled to arrive at Amamoor Station by 11:00am . A not for profit organization, “Friends of Amamoor” (FOA) have erected a gazebo and beautifully transformed the recreational area surrounding the station. They run occasional markets and other functions. The Click Clack Coffee Cafe operates from the Raillway Station every Wednesday to Sunday from 11:00am to 3:00pm.
Amamoor is often referred to as ‘The Gateway to the Music Muster’, a yearly country music event hosted in the Amamoor State forest in August every year. Trading during the Muster period, Easter and school holidays increases trade significantly. The beauty of this business is that there are also quiet times, when new projects can be developed and implemented.